Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hmm...

Man, I guess its been awhile since I've blogged on this blog.

I thought I didn't need to anymore, that the other blog would be sufficient for blogging. But today I want to blog here. Don't ask me why. Maybe its that time of the month.

So anyways, in regards to writing...having a full time job (which is hella busy) and the kids and the hubby are killing my creative energies. My mom is staying with us for a few weeks as well, and I feel like I have to spend time with her as well (Mom, watch the West Wing with me, the greatest show of all time). Throw in me having to get up at 4:00 am for work, and the writing time is zippo. Zilch. Nada. Sigh.

I've been having problems with the hero, who heretofore was a military guy. I know that romances should steer clear of politics...but reading a lot of mil blogs lately...they are so pro-Bush. It jars my delicate, sheltered, nerdy, bookish, liberal senses. So what is the problem? Why don't I just make Dan a libbie who opposes the war...but still does his duty when called. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???

My head, that's the problem!!!! Its not gelling!! I am so whining right now. So if he comes back from war as a wounded veteran...does he show signs of post traumatic stress syndrome? I look to the West Wing episode ("Noel", season 2) where Josh is experiencing PTSD...and he kinda "deals" with it in the episode. I'm not sure I want it to be a factor in this whole book. I mean...Dan could have a mild case of it, I guess. But its a pretty serious subject and it takes a long time to recover from (some never do)...I don't just want to leave the impression that the love of a good woman and lotsa sex is the cure to PTSD, which obviously it isn't. But on the other hand, it is a romance. Where is the balance?????

I think I am psyching myself out. I entered that writing contest and won't be hearing back from them until like Sept...so a part of me is still on hold, breathlessly awaiting the validation of my writing self.

Sigh...I'll be glad when the 2 weeks of PMS plus the 5-7 days is over and I can stop playing head games with myself...

BTW, how I feel politically. :)